Pages

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Prof. Claudia Rei

Prof. Claudia Rei (Ph.D., Boston University) is Senior Teaching Fellow at the University of Warwick. She has published several reviews and articles on European economic history.

Profile picture 













If you were queen for a day and could require all students to read one book in the field of economics, what would it be and why?

Power and Plenty by Ronald Findlay and Kevin O'Rourke
The book provides a concise economic history of the world since the year 1000 and shows how international trade, at various stages, allowed for economic prosperity. The authors focus on the technological and political developments that prompted the various waves of trade and at the crucial importance of war and peace in the process that shaped the world economy we see today. If I were queen for a day I would make it a required reading for all students, and also to politicians whom I would rightfully appoint into office!


If you were not an economist, what would you be?

I never wished to fill any particular occupation unlike many children that aspire to doctors, firemen, or astronauts. I'm very squeamish so I knew early on I could not be a doctor, but I liked math and computers which does not narrow choices much. I grew up in Portugal so there was a non-negligible chance that I wouldn't be accepted into college due to the complicated application system. My Plan B at 17, was to shave my head and join the army. Not sure it would have been a great alternative career, so I am glad I got into college.

No comments:

Post a Comment